Go Embryo Go [Part I]: The first 6 weeks


Pink Sand Beach, Eleuthera Island in the Bahamas
Baby Dill's first of many trips in the womb (post embryo transfer). 

Shortly after the big reveal by phone, we went on our first “relaxing” vacation to the Bahamas. One of the only 2 islands in the Caribbean region free from Zika. My husband never takes off work voluntarily or without me asking, but he had a slow week and he wanted to schedule a week vacation someplace close but yet like paradise. Although, we’d love to go back to Hawaii, the long flight just doesn’t make it worth going for one week. We planned this trip knowing we’d find out about the big news (whether pregnant or not) days before our departure. And we were okay with that. So, we planned our trip and discovered days before departure that we were pregnant! So that brought only a few changes to our trip: no Bahama Mamas (mocktails would replace cocktails), no high-risk adventures, and, we would need to carry needles!

Traveling with needles
It wasn’t the travel advisory due to high crime in the Bahamas that scared me most (we were not even flying through the main island). It was traveling with the multiple needles and vials of progesterone. I already had in my mind what I would say if anyone tried to confiscate it, “I need this to keep my embryo alive!” My doctor gave me a note and the morning of our flight I was on pins and needles about two things: getting past security and departing before the snow storm that was predicted to start right before we were scheduled to fly out.

As we approached TSA, I tried to act cool and removed my clear bag of needles and vials. Got to the other side and no one said one thing! I thought, “whew” then the next second I thought, “well that’s scary!” No one checked my clear bag nor my note. But, moving right along. It was also very early in the morning. Meaning, I couldn’t do my shot at the scheduled time between 7-8a. When we arrived at our layover in Miami, we were scrambling for a family restroom. I began to panic because we couldn’t even find signs for one and it was already 1 hour past my scheduled “shot” time. My husband started to give me a pep talk reassuring me that “I’ve got this”.  The hunt was on! Sure enough, while getting in line for the women’s restroom, I spotted it! Weird location but I’ll take it. It was a bit awkward for my husband and I as we waited in line for the women’s restroom and waved ladies and children around us, “we’re just waiting for the family room.” Finally, after getting in, we laughed as we considered all the people’s thoughts and also we thought about all the places I’d have to do these shots during the entire first trimester).

Layover fun...family bathroom pit stops for shots. 

Paradise
We made it to the remote island of Eleuthera, Bahamas. The place was so peaceful, tranquil and definitely brought on an immediate sense of peace. The sun was out, the air was warm, and the waves sounded like a sound machine. Hammocks were everywhere. We were provided a tour and at the end, they offered Bahama Mamas. Then I heard it, “she will take a virgin [pause] she’s pregnant.” Well, that was just weird. I heard my husband say the “P” word. Then they lit up congratulating us and told us there were 16 other pregnant women on the island that week. Well, cool. Only I certainly didn’t look it nor did I feel it, plus…it’s way too early to even say the “P” word!

The rest of the week was amazing. I was cleared to return to my normal workouts so we still released some adventures riding cruiser bikes to town (up a couple big hills) where we could experience more of the island / culture vibes. We even ran at the gym 4 times that week, hubby snorkeled for hours, and we did lots of walking on another island close by. I was feeling great and felt like my energetic self and even eating really well. There were a couple nights I was up praying that if anything were to happen, I asked God to let it hold off until after vacation or at least until we got back into the states. Sadly, I did pack a pouch of feminine products. I had no expectations for this process and therefore, preparing myself for the ups and downs. Ironically, the other 16 pregnant women at the resort were all showing and I felt silly for anyone to even know that I was pregnant, too. I’m thinking I’m literally about 4 weeks pregnant (when most women do not even know they’re pregnant). The remainder of the week was full of sunshine, exercise, and spent the last 2 days in West Palm Beach, FL to watch our Cardinals in baseball spring training. Where we also did lots of more walking, running, and exploring. 

The follow ups
Upon our return from Paradise, I had one more blood test (3 blood tests are performed post-transfer to monitor the beta levels). The first 2 were performed prior to our trip and I was slightly fearful of ectopic pregnancy due to being so early in the pregnancy. My levels were high and strong and continued to rise indicating the embryo decided to stick it out for the adventurous journey. The first ultrasound was scheduled right at 6 weeks and I was still feeling great. I was exercising, eating, feeling no fatigue or sickness. In fact, I was a little worried that I wasn’t experiencing the typical pregnancy symptoms. It was my first ultrasound appointment and my husband was unable to clear his schedule, but it was good he didn’t because it was a long wait which made me quite anxious. Each appointment I literally walked in with no expectations and tried to avoid the nervous nellies. However, after getting my vitals and weight, the techs were concerned with my 6-pound weight loss. That got my heart racing. I seriously just ate my entire dinner of fish risotto at an Italian restaurant the night before! How in the world did I shed 6 pounds and I didn’t even feel lighter! I’m not throwing up, I’m not nauseated, and I’m certainly not pooping! After getting my vitals, they had me sit in the waiting area for what seemed like forever to get the ultrasound. They had snacks in the waiting area so I grabbed one, thinking “I need to gain weight!” While waiting, for the ultrasound, I began to get anxious for the first time…


Sneak peek of Baby Dill at 6 weeks, their very first photo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From the Ears of an Active Deaf Girl

Ironman Louisville Part II: Be Strong and Courageous

A Christmas Miracle under the microscope