Count your blessings


It was a mid-November, Thursday morning, my husband and I were able to sleep in on a random day we were both off to enjoy the fluffy, white snowflakes gracefully floating all around creating a white out blanket. These are the mornings we love and soak in every minute of snuggling with our fur baby who likes to leap up into our bed around 6AM every morning (aka, our wakeup call). We don’t take for granted these rare mornings of peace and quiet. All I could think about was, what a great opportunity for the best Christmas card with the huge white flakes floating down all around in front of our new home! I’m not one who likes to be lazy for too long for I easily get FOMO (fear of missing out) or I feel like I’m wasting precious time.

My husband got ready in his ski attire and got the camera all set up on what we later found out, a wonky tripod. Our photo session was delayed due to the pure entertainment of our four-legged boy prancing around, face planting in the snow and collecting snow balls on his black coat. He was having some serious zoomies and loving every minute of this unleased playtime in our front yard. As I was capturing all these joyful memories on video and in snapshots on my phone, I knocked over our “fancy” camera and apparently, the 6 inches of snow wasn’t dense enough to soften the impact on the concrete drive. When it came time to get ready for the family photos, the camera lens would not focus. Let’s just say, I broke it (not in a pretty way). I ran back inside to grab our back up camera and transferred the memory card. I proceeded to somehow break this one, too. Likely, the snow was too heavy and getting water inside our cameras. Needless to say, we had a third backup, the lifesaving moments of having a good iPhone camera.

Flash forward
In between all the switching of cameras and transferring the memory card, I wiped out our travel photos from Greece and who knows what else. We always backup photos but I supposed we got lazy and had a lot of photos from our phones that we never looked at the camera. This makes a perfect iCloud or Apple commercial/ad…when all else fails, the phone camera and photos back up on iCloud save your priceless moments in action. I was sick and replaying play by play. I’m a sentimental gal who finds photos personally valuable. The “real” camera is the one we used to take photos of us together and capture all the majestic landscapes when we travel. I get so sick I dwell on the past that I don’t even think about the present.

My husband knew exactly what I needed, I needed to let go of holding onto thousands of photos and instead, immerse in the memories live. In fact, he stated exactly my first thought which was, be thankful it wasn’t our wedding photos and secondly, be thankful we have a good camera on our phones with all our photos on a cloud. Then we continued with our long winter wonderland hike where I felt complete peace in the presence of God’s handiwork, His Creation.

The thing I have repeatedly learned, is live in the moment or the present. Let go, to enjoy the peace and countless blessings around. Growing up playing soccer, I’d dwell on the mistakes I made on the field and struggled letting go of my errors much like replaying how I could’ve saved all our photos. I’d rewind the plays in my head sending my mind to a crazy state thinking of all the simple changes or moves I could’ve made. My daddy’s words of wisdom, “do not dwell on the mistakes or the past” were ones to live by. It was at 37 years old, breaking 2 cameras that I learned to apply the lesson of letting go and living in peace.

This lead to me singing the hymnal Count Your Blessings in my head:

When you are discouraged,
Thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings,
Name them one by one,
And it will surprise you
What the Lord hath done.

Each year, we all face discouragements, failures, guilt, and more. How long do we hold onto the thief that robs our joy? How many blessings would be visible if we shifted our view and counted them one by one? It may surprise you…

Happy Thanksgiving and many blessings to all!

Quote of the day: “At the end of the day, I am thankful that my blessings are bigger than my problems.”  @fredrickavila


Bible verse of the day: Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.   – Psalm 100:4-5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ironman Louisville Part II: Be Strong and Courageous

From the Ears of an Active Deaf Girl

The Man Who Inspired Me