Too much to handle?



At the start of a calm week, I decided it was time for a mind, body, and soul check. It was time to hop back onto the saddle, into the pool, into devotional reading, study for work, and simply check myself into quiet time. Lately, my brain cells have been floating in a million pieces trying to figure out where these neurons need to huddle and take action. Perhaps you have heard the phrase “God will not give you more than you can handle?” Or maybe you have never heard of this phrase. Regardless, sometimes we feel overwhelmed, lost, confused, and the desire to give up. Twenty-seventeen is bringing on so many changes in my life that it’s pushing me between the quarter and mid-life crisis phase. No one said life is an easy journey. We have our waves of ups and downs and ultimately, we choose how to handle the pressure.

This past Monday, our little pride and joy (fur baby) was at daycare. It was then I decided to take a break from work, from house designing, from being a wife, a puppy mom, and get back into the saddle, specifically, Penny, my race bike. As I started my first T-run (aka brick workout, a run straight off the bike) under the beautiful rays of sunshine and blue skies, I reflected on a  number of things. My best thoughts, ideas, quotes come when I run or even shower. The times I do not have my phone or a notepad to jot it down. This workout clearly reminded me why I’m a big advocate for increasing physical activities in the schools and the workplace. Numerous studies have supported many positive effects of moderate to vigorous physical activity on productivity, academics, and health in general. It was clear to me I’m most productive and confident when I run, train, and/or compete. My confident does not lie under the girly glam, lipstick, high heels, or costume jewels. Instead, it’s when the southern belle strips down raw to her tomboy, cardio junkie bones to take on some suffering and pain. My cardio workouts release so much positive endorphins that it rejuvenates my soul and makes me feel alive fulfilling me with energy, confidence, and strength. Confidence is worn differently by everyone and often so difficult to explain until you experience it.

Lately, I’ve been forgetting about myself. I get so distracted with ALL the things I love: my 3 jobs, volunteering, house designing, taking care of our fur baby and my amazing husband. Perhaps, I’m a little lost swimming through all my distractions that it spreads my confidence thin and I lose focus in who I am, where I am, and the direction I should go. I’ll never forget the words from a dear friend who simply put it as this: “you can’t wear yourself so thin with all your love and kindness. You need to have love and kindness for you so you can keep helping others the magical way you do.”  That has been my motivation on a sticky note marked somewhere on the surface of my brain. This week, I felt more alive and rejuvenated. It’s time to re-evaluate and prioritize life goals and hop back onto the purpose driven life track.
Taking advantage of rare free time to spend with this little guy.
Walking him in our soon to be, new neighborhood. 
Date night with my hubby, to a game and team we both love.
No matter the trials and tribulations God puts in your life, He gives us the freedom to choose the wide or narrow path, the path less or more traveled, the choice to live for Him or for something/someone else. No one said the journey in life would be easy or even pain-free. Sometimes we lose focus and feel like cloudy days are following us or we’re simply spinning around in circles. Sometimes we feel like giving up. There were several times this week I felt out of shape and wanted to quit in the middle of my workouts or shorten them, but during my self-talk on a run, my best quote or motto evolved: “Don’t let your weaknesses fail you. Instead, use them help you rise to greatness with your strengths.” One of my clinic supervisors shared with me recently the best advice she heard which was just what I needed to hear to redirect my focus in life: “Be confident with what you DO know.”

My ultimate Joy is in my Savior. I live for Him and through Him. Therefore, through Him, I’ll carry strength to continue overcoming daily obstacles and walk through the road less traveled. What brings you strength and confidence?

Quote of the day: Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence. ~ Pope John Paul II

Bible verse of the day: I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. ~ John 16:33

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ironman Louisville Part II: Be Strong and Courageous

From the Ears of an Active Deaf Girl

The Man Who Inspired Me