Under the weather??

 Be still.

It’s that time of the year again where sniffles, stuffiness, and puffy eyes hit our heads. Or maybe, we’ve been hit by the bug that likes to stir the tummy. If you’re used to being active on the clock like me, we don't schedule these unfortunate occurrences.  Sometimes these circumstances last quite a while especially if there’s inflammation, broken bones, or physical repairs involving some healing time that we don’t want on our agendas for too long.

Sitting still is hard for a lot of us.  A week ago, I ran a long 9 miles. It was after work and even though it was a tough run through biting wind chills, I felt good and I was pleased with my run time.  My limbs may have been numb, but I felt good! After that night, things weren’t right. Imagine your body feeling great and wanting to move but puffy eyes, itchy nose, sneezing, and head pressure holding you back from doing much. Doesn’t sound like those little symptoms up top would hold the rest of your body hostage. In fact, I still went to work each day but it’s a whole different level once you get that heart rate going. I knew it wasn’t an infection or a virus but maybe it was allergies. In the winter?? Can someone please tell me what is in the Midwest that causes someone who’s never had allergies to suddenly feel like her head is below sea level possibly surrounded by pollens (at least that’s what I think of about allergies – but pollen in the dead of winter?).  Regardless, my bowling ball head just wouldn’t allow me to feel good. I even tried moving it indoors on a trainer and after 15 minutes, I thought my eyes were going to pop out and my nose would burn off.  Water was streaming from my eyes, my nose, and possibly my mouth and it wasn’t sweat. Mentally, it went a little something like this, “just 5 more minutes” then repeat – lasted up to 42 minutes of drills.  

Sometimes, we need a reason to stop and smell the roses because we sure aren’t going to stop on our own.   There wouldn’t be room for improvements if we were always strong.  This past week I’ve been itching to get out and run and all I could think about was moving…but it took 7 days for me to realize I could’ve taken this down time to return to my passion of sharing my faith through journaling.  My devotion reminded me that through all weaknesses, insults, hardships, and persecution we find strength.  Be still and trust your strength.

There’s a reason we need to feel weak because that’s when we get stronger spiritually, physically, and mentally.


Bible verse of the day: “…I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”  ~ 2 Corinthians 12:10


Quote of the day: I am thankful enough for my struggle because without it I wouldn't have stumbled across my strength.  ~ Author Alex Elle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From the Ears of an Active Deaf Girl

Ironman Louisville Part II: Be Strong and Courageous

A Christmas Miracle under the microscope